Saturday, November 27, 2004

TV advertising, FCC, RSS, & bit torrent…

I recently found out about podcasting, I love it and as a result I have also found out about bittorrent and RSS (which kinda seems to be bigger than podcasting, at least in terms of applications). There was a lot of talk about legality, the FCC even had a recent ruling that would cover advertising (actually it could cover tons of things electronic) etc and how tv networks would start clamping down like the RIAA and MPAA are and suing downloaders. Now I don’t have a solution for the RIAA but the TV networks and MPIAA could just put more advertisements in the programming. This is done all the time in movies anyway, I notice it only a small fraction of the time, and for TV networks they get almost all their money via advertising so why not? They might even make more since they would be increasing the number of ways to get their programming out; why shouldn’t that work?