Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Solar power in Afghanistan


Solar power in Afghanistan
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

I recently found out that my organization recently finished a project dealing with solar power though I am not sure that had anything to do with these panels on the roof of our other building. Actually, I am assuming these panels are solar but they don’t appear to have any pipes (solar water heating) or cells (electricity generation) but then again this was from a distance.In my three plus weeks here I have seen two rainy days and was informed that they were pretty rare so I can say that Afghan weather is pretty darn sunny (though in Kabul the weather is not that bad, I have certainly experienced hotter feeling days in the southeastern US). With all the power outages in Kabul and the general lack of electricity in the rest of Afghanistan I am surprised that solar power generation projects are not more common here. Something to look into, one of the people here who tries to talk with me quite a bit (with limited success due to my lack of Farsi and his rudimentary English) worked with the solar project so he would probably be a good place to start.