Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mountain Houses


Mountain Houses
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

Nothing spectacular here, though this mountain is *in* Kabul (it just seems odd to me for there to be mountains in the middle of cities). The reason I took the picture was for the houses, on the mountain, if you look closely you can see lots of rectangular structures (sorry, I am limited to a 3x zoom lens). Apparently Kabul real estate has become pretty expensive so poorer individuals have been “driven” up the mountains in and around Kabul. I have been told almost none of these homes have running water and are forced to ferry water up the mountain on a daily basis, and don’t be fooled, these hikes are not for the meek, you can take a good 30-45 minutes of walking up these twisted streets and if you are carrying 5-15 gallons of water I would imagine that it gets pretty rough.