Friday, February 11, 2005

The World Getting More Conservative?

I don't think of myself as particularly conservative or liberal, if either i think Jesse Ventura (no I would not vote for him) said it best "Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative" thats as close as i come to either side. Anyway, I look around and think that many parts of the world are becoming more conservative, yeah I could be wrong but look at some examples. The obvious one, Bush; while I am sure he would label himself as "fiscally conservative" i think he is the antithesis of money wise, though few would argue his right wing social stance. What about Russia? Putin just seems to be getting more and more popular (with a very few exceptions [senior benefits and golfing while the sub sank]) and he is pretty heavy handed to say the least. Most recently Thailand's re-elected prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra. If "shoot drug suspects first, ask questions later" isn't right wing extremism i am not sure what is (like supporting the death penalty w/o a trial). How about France? Yeah I know I would probably be shot if there was a French national around but their immigration policies seem to be less and less social, and what about Le Penn? There are tons of other examples as well as exceptions, but for many large influential nations i think it is the trend.