Thursday, September 30, 2004

Wow!

So the technology for storing something like a terabyte of info on one disk is a few years away! Sweet! I remember when my family had a 286 16Mhz AT computer with a 10 megabyte hard drive, I had no concept of computer storage then, then I got a 386 with what I think was like 120 megabytes, then I quickly learned the rule… you will use up whatever space you have, no matter how much you have… which has held true for the past 10 years, damn. My desktop had 160 gigs and I still hovered around 5-20 gigs of free space, taking up space with music, video, and backups and disk images… I have been trying to follow Sony’s Blu-Ray format, which should be able to fit about 50 gigs per disk (That will probably hold me over until the Terabyte disks get here). The HD-DVDs are interesting but don't seem to hold as much potential as the Blu-Ray format. For the time being I will just probably move on to getting a dual layered DVD writer once my income allows me to (It would be nice to at least halve the number of backup data DVDs i have right now) So bring on the terabyte storage, I am sure I will find a way to use that up as well.