Thursday, March 06, 2008

Living from a Wheelbarrow


Living from a Wheelbarrow
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

This was supposed to be my phenomenal photo but alas it didn’t turn out quite the way I wanted. I was hoping to get all of them to turn my way so I could get a picture, actually the irony here was almost annoying because usually, if people know I am a foreigner, they can’t stop staring at me.

If you go to a large market in Afghanistan you will see people with wheel barrows carting stuff around, smaller scale version of the two men pulling a heavily laden cart in another picture, but probably in the same pay range as. They are paid by vendors to cart stuff around from one place to the next, for cents per trip.

The scene actually reminds me of migrant workers that gather at places like construction sites or home depots etc; they wait and hope for some daily work, and usually it is just barely enough to get buy.