Monday, January 10, 2005

Cult of speed

I actually like that phrase, Cult of Speed; I heard it on The Diane Rehm show (2004-11-25); she was interviewing a guy who wrote about the disadvantages of “living fast”. People always seem to think of living fast as bad, they don’t seem to consider that living fast can enable you to squeeze more of what you enjoy doing into a given amount of time.

Mind you, I am not anti-slow living, I am more for living a manual-shift lifestyle. I love slow food but only when I have time to enjoy it, and in such instances I make time and just chill, other times though taking it slow is a waste of good “life-time”, like walking to work, that can be new/interesting only so many times, after awhile it feels like I am wasting time and I want to either instantly teleport myself to work/home (which isn’t an option yet) or make proper use of it (like listening to podcast/newscasts, thus squeezing more in, which some might say is analogous to living fast).

A few thoughts that I took away from that program were:

  • “If you don’t have time to do something slowly/right, you don’t have time to do it twice” I think I misquoted it but you get the idea right? I kinda liked that idea.
  • Will the slow people be left behind?
  • "Time is money" – Ben Franklin