Friday, February 08, 2008

The Band-i Amir Resort


The Band-i Amir Resort
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

I really wasn’t told much about Band-i Amir so when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. It is a pretty remote place, of course no running water or electricity (but that could be said about most of Afghanistan). I can’t remember where but I remember reading some comment about how Bamiyan City (one of the two largest cities in the province) is for the “Extreme Tourist” well they haven’t been to Band-I Amir; Bamiyan city has a few restaurants (admittedly they all only serve kebabs, damn good though), markets, occasional electricity, and hotels… Band-i Amir has none of those. There are a few generators which you can hear grinding away at night but they pretty much just serve to power the lights around the little vendor stalls and not much else. Here you can see the lake above, a string of tents/shacks below (vendors with a surprisingly large variety of things to sell) and assorted tents which are the Band-i Amir equivalent to hotel rooms. To the left (out of the picture) is an outhouse of questionable hygiene and a restaurant of sorts. Really though, considering where it is located the amenities are more than I would have expected.