Sunday, September 02, 2007

Stopping for no particular reason


Stopping for no particular reason
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

We had been driving for a few hours (according to my GPS at about 15-20mph) and came across this cluster of houses and a stream. I am not sure what prompted the driver to stop here instead of somewhere else but we did so everyone (all four of us) got out to stretch splash our faces with some cold water (ironically it started to rain not 2 minutes later) and some kids appeared. With my “French beard” and no scarf to hide it they picked me out from a mile away and began staring. I have never been a fan of being stared at but can tolerate it sometimes better than other times. Since I had been discovered I thought “what the hell” and pulled out my camera and started snapping photos of the area (usually I try to be a bit more discreet so people don’t single me out so quickly but here I had already been discovered, there were no women around, and this area was a safe area [something you have to consider when in Afghanistan]).