Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Nomads?


Nomads?
Originally uploaded by gaikokujinkyofusho

This is one of the many times I have been confused; I was told these people are not nomads but they don’t have homes and they do travel around… go figure.

One of the things that caught my eye was the yurts they used; here they are using a combination of tents that the west is familiar with and Mongolian style yurts. I have also learned that “modern” nomads often use trucks to bring their livestock to central Afghanistan to graze on the “readily available” vegetation… and these people have vehicles… but they are not nomads, go figure.

Later I was informed that some villages make a yearly exodus to the grassier areas to let their livestock graze so just a few people stay in the village and the rest head out so that could be the situation here (yes, I was told these people have no home but I am regularly given contradicting information so its possible).