Saturday, October 22, 2005

Death Of Palm...

This is (or has been) pretty obvious, and depressing (for me) but Palm is dying. I actually fell for "Palm" when I got a Handspring Visor, I loved the springboard option (though I was most interested in getting the vibrating springboard for when I had my headphone on). I was wowed by all the quality applications out there and the millions of things they could do. But then came M$, they seemed nifty at first but bloated, and expensive as hell. Fast forward about 5 years, Palm has not been keeping up. I think it is a failure on both sides (hardware and software), the software isn't going to support hardware if it doesn't exist and hardware isn't going to come about unless software supports it. Of course thats not true (or only in theory) because the hardware did come about, though it was for the M$ platform. Now the M$ PDAs are close to PDA nirvana, kind of. They are still kinda pricey for me (but have come down alot) but my final two gripes with the M$ solutions are #1 I don't like having M$ dominating another area of the tech market #2 The M$ products are about as good as Windows (maybe worse). I was talking to a friend of mine who has some sort of Toshiba (maybe HP, but I don't think so) PocketPC and he was showing it off. It had bluetooth, wifi, 640x480 screen, etc it was enough to make me start to salivate. While he was showing it it froze up, he didn't blink an eye, he just whipped out a pin and reset it. I asked how often it happened, he said "oh anywhere from daily to weekly"; while that shouldn't surprise me (considering the OS) but it did. I have a (antiquated) Treo90 and I can't remember the last time it froze (at the very least it was 6 months ago) and I use it daily. Now I admit I am seriously wanting at least some wifi but other things too and I am sure each new feature adds more opportunities for glitches but still, weekly?! Will I switch over to the dark side? In a New York second, but not happily. I am sure there are some out there saying "if you hate M$ and instability so much why not spring for one of the Linux based PDAs/Smartphones" I have been temped, very (Sharp has some sweet hardware), but one main thing stops me software. I am no programmer and can't whip up some application when I can't find it on the net. PocketPC's offerings are almost at the point where Palm was 3 years ago. It seems unfair but then again thats life. R.I.P. Palm.